The Outdoor Ethics Guide should have a thorough understanding of and commitment to Leave No Trace principles and Tread Lightly! guidelines. The outdoor ethics guide helps the troop or crew plan and conduct an outdoor program that effectively practices the principles of outdoor ethics. The guide works to help Scouts improve their outdoor ethics decision-making skills to minimize impacts as they participate in outdoor activities. He supports Scouts who are working to complete the relevant requirements for the Scout through First Class ranks.
- Explains to Scouts the relevant requirements for the Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks.
- Demonstrates how to practice the Outdoor Code, and the Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly! principles to meet advancement requirements.
- Helps the troop plan and conduct an outdoor program that effectively practices outdoor ethics.
- Helps Life Scouts understand, plan, and carry out activities or projects meeting conservation service hour requirements.
- Encourages Scouts and leaders to complete the Outdoor Ethics Awareness and Action awards.